Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Amadeus, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amadeus

Amadeus The Maestro Staff Member

Update: June 27 at 9:30 PM PDT
    In the interest of maintaining appropriate discretion, I will not go into details with regard to the conversations and testing which have taken place over the past few days. However, I will say that I feel confident that my words tonight are factual, and not based upon speculation.

First, I want to reiterate that it has become apparent to me, through statements from multiple sources, that ISXEQ2 was not directly targeted last week. Although I cannot state for certain the exact cause of why ISXEQ2 was flagged for so many suspensions and bans, I have come to believe that the EQ2 developers wanted to make a strong statement to the greater community of players that neither hacking nor boxing would be tolerated on the new "Race to Trakanon" server. (In other words, there will be a zero-tolerance policy with regard to ANY third-party software on this new server.) So, last week was a warning shot....a wake-up call ...and ISXEQ2 got caught up in it.

Although I want to be very clear that EQ2 EULA rules regarding third-party software still applies to all players, on all servers, I now feel confident that with the following changes, ISXEQ2 players should be safe from future bans/suspensions:
    1. Anything which alters game play will be removed from the extension. This includes permanent "Enduring Breath" and the "No Fog" features. (These are the only two things I know about right now which fall into this category; however, if I'm made aware of others, I will remove them as well in order to keep ISXEQ2 above the threshold at which it is considered malicious.)
    2. ISXEQ2 will be completely disabled on the new "Race to Trakanon" server and/or any other future event type servers of that nature. [Note: This decision is for your own benefit. DBG will have a zero-tolerance policy on new event servers, especially those which involve racing and/or competition between players for glory.]
    3. I will be actively discouraging any actions, on any server, which disrupt the gameplay of others, including griefing, unfair competition on contested content, saying stupid shit in chat with regard to botting or isxeq2, and/or idiocy in general. If I am made aware of any users doing any of these things, and I have verified it, I'll discontinue your subscription.

So, as you can see, this posting is very good news! It means that ISXEQ2 can continue into the future, and that it should be safe to use, if used as it is intended. This whole experience has also provided an opportunity for me to listen to the desires, philosophies, and conditions of those who make policies and decisions about the game. As I've stated many times, I very much love this game, believe that it is a fantastic work of art, and want for ISXEQ2 to enhance it...not harm it. Although it has grown over the years, the reason I started this project in 2005 was because I loved the beta and wanted to avoid someone starting an open-source version of something like Macroquest. Whether or not you agree with using something like ISXEQ2 or not, it's most definitely the least of all possible evils.

Now, many of you are wondering about the bans and suspensions themselves. Unfortunately I do not have any news regarding this topic. To be frank, I feel that the suspensions are fair and I think anyone who would complain about them is as silly as complaining about a speeding ticket: you may not like it, but you were speeding -- get over it. However, I do understand that the bans were especially painful. So, I did make a personal appeal to reconsider them, possibly utilizing a longer suspension instead or, at worst, a transfer to Drunder. But, I have no information on that as yet. Reversing a ban is a very difficult decision for any company, especially if the person is guilty -- however, I hope they will come to realize that, for most of you, it might be an especially hard punishment. We shall see what happens.

Finally, after all of this is said and done, I know it may be very scary to use ISXEQ2 for a while....and I understand that. If you feel that you need to stop for a while and let other people "test the waters", I won't be offended at all. But, I do hope that you'll come back here to the forums and check-in at some point and see if my changes made the extension as safe as I was lead to believe it would. Or, maybe it's time to start some new characters on new accounts, which might be another way to get back into the action slowly. Either way, no one is going to think less of you for any decision you might make. Personally, I feel that with the changes I'm making, I will be using ISXEQ2 again on my accounts and I think the other ISXEQ2 leadership (kannkor, bjcasey, etc.) will be doing so as well.

So, I think that's everything I know. I will wait until tomorrow's patch to update ISXEQ2 so that it's fresh and new, with the changes mentioned earlier in this posting. (In other words, tomorrow's version of ISXEQ2 should be good-to-go for use.)

Amadeus

p.s. I will keep ISXEVE available for ISXEQ2 subscription holders as a perk for dealing with this past week. I'll probably change it back at some point in the future, but not for a while.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Lars and mattb like this.
  2. Amadeus

For those with a suspension, and may be looking for something to do while waiting for more news/updates, I have made it so that ISXEVE will load for those with an ISXEQ2 subscription. ISXEVE works with "EVE Online", a game you can download and try for free for 14 days. The ISXEVE installer is at http://updates.isxgames.com/isxeve/ISXEVE.exe

You can find scripts for ISXEVE on these forums including a new mining bot, a new bot by bjcasey, and a salvaging bot that I wrote. You can also find extensive open-source scripts, such as EVEBot, which are no longer being updated, but which would provide significant framework for creating your own. Finally, there is a NEW open-source framework for a .NET bot as well (released on github.) So, as you can see, ISXEVE has a *LOT* of features and is still in active development.

Anyway, I know EVE won't be for everyone, and I understand completely if you plan to stop using innerspace/isx if things turn out really badly for ISXEQ2; however, I thought I'd just put the offer and information out there.

===
    Technical Notes: If you've forgotten your isxGames username/password, you can find it in the /innerspace/Extensions/ISXEQ2.xml file.
    Lars likes this.
  3. Amadeus

I have updated the original post on this thread. (This will probably be the final update.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.