Patching ISXEQ2 and Everquest 2: Do's and do not's

Status
Not open for further replies.

macker0407

Originally posted by Kannkor, and all credit goes to him:

There's two files to make isxeq2 work properly.
Everquest2.exe - This is obtained in 1 of two methods. Directly from the station launcher, or via the web: http://www.isxgames.com/isxeq2/exe/
ISXEQ2.dll - This is updated automatically every time it runs. It can be manually updated from the web also, but 99.9% of the time, that isn't needed. So lets forget about that for now.

SOE changes the file, Everquest2.exe quite frequently, but they aren't 'required' updates. Or as we call them, forced patches. Since ISXEQ2.dll is designed to work with ONE specific version of Everquest2.exe, this is why we never patch and update it.

Assuming you have ever had ISXEQ2 working, this is the process you should take.
After SOE does a patch, you should attempt to use ISXEQ2 the same way you always have. DO NOT LOAD THE STATION LAUNCHER.
If at this time, you get an error message that reads: Your version of Everquest2.exe does not match the servers. Please exit and re-run the patcher.
That means it is a forced patch, and now you should load the station launcher, ONCE. If you get any other error message than the one above it, do not run the station patcher. Let me repeat. ANY OTHER ERROR MESSAGE MEANS DO NOT RUN THE PATCHER.
Once you have re-ran the station patcher ONCE, attempt to load ISXEQ2 again like normal. One of two things will happen.
1) It will error out, and give a large blue box with information. Read it. It tells you if it was a patch day, you need to patch (which you just did) and wait for Amadeus to update isxeq2. Remember, ISXEQ2 updates automatically. If you don't desire to be on IRC to see the instant it's updated, simply attempt to use ISXEQ2 every few hours, every time you get the big blue box, means it isn't updated. When it's updated, it will work automatically.
2) It will update itself, and work.

The only time you need to access this URL ( http://www.isxgames.com/isxeq2/exe/ ) is in the follow scenario.
As mentioned above, SOE patches Everquest2.exe frequently, and ISXEQ2 is only designed to work with 1 specific Everquest2.exe. Lets say, SOE does a forced patch on Tuesday, then another normal (not forced) on Wednesday. If you run the launcher on or after Wednesday, you will have the wrong Everquest2.exe, so you can use the link to obtain the correct one.
There's a question you need to ask yourself in this scenario.
Why did you run the launchpad on or after Wednesday? Remember, you should ONLY use the station launcher if you get the mismatch error. There ARE times when you don't have a choice. For example, you didn't play on Tuesday (and thus didn't patch on Tuesday to get the correct exe).

Hopefully that cleared up some of the process. If anyone has any questions feel free to post them. This is meant for the general population. Please don't post, random, one off scenarios that are exceptions to the rules.

-Kannkor

Kannkor

Ogre
You followed the above steps, and it's still not working. What do you do next?
Step #1: Repeat the above post, doing the EXACT directions. Do not skip, or skim anything. The instructions may feel like they are 'long', but it's because people like you are having issues, so they are very detailed. No offense, of course :)

Step #2: It's still not working.
* If you ask for help and start with this, please find a spork, and poke yourself multiple times. If I called you and said "My car isn't working", how useful is that?

Errors/issues:

Error: When I try to log in, I get an error with "Your version of Everquest2.exe does not match the servers.".
Fix: This means you have failed already. By simply getting this far, means you did not read the previous post. So, again - read the previous post.

Error: I got "Your version of Everquest2.exe does not match the servers." and followed the directions (patched), now ISXEQ2 is saying it's the wrong EXE.
Fix: In this case, follow the big blue box.
Follow up error: I'm still getting the "Your version of Everquest2.exe does not match the servers.".
Fix: This means you probably need to re-read the error message. Assuming you did everything correct, it means it was a patch day, and you need to wait for Amadeus to update ISXEQ2. Refer to the previous post.

Error: I'm crashing when I try to load a session. Note: This is when you are crashing IMMEDIATELY, not if you are running a script.
Fix: The first time ISXEQ2 loads after it patches, there is a chance it will crash. After it crashes, load it a again. If it crashes twice, then you have an issue.
Fix-Crashing more than once:
This is more complicated. So follow these steps.
First thing is first.

Load Everquest 2 normally. This means without innerspace. Can you log completely into the game, into your character?
If no - it's an Everquest 2 issue. I would do a full file scan from the Everquest 2 patcher.
If yes - continue.

Load Everquest 2 through innerspace. Make sure nothing autoloads (ISXEQ2 or ISXOgre). See a link below if you need assistance doing this.
Can you log completely into the game, into your character?
If no - it's an innerspace issue. Head over to www.lavishsoft.com and seek support. ONLY DO THIS IF IT IS CRASHING WITHOUT ANYTHING ELSE LOADING. This is very, very, very rarely the issue.
if yes - continue.

Try to load ISXEQ2. Since you're already in game from following these steps, simply type this in the console:
ext isxeq2
Since you have been following these instructions step by step, more than likely ISXEQ2 will you, you have the wrong executable (remember, a few steps above you logged in normally, which would have patched). Follow the instructions and get the correct executable.
Load Everquest 2 through innerspace. Once again, make sure nothing autoloads (ISXEQ2 or ISXOgre). At this stage, you do not need to actually log in. To the login screen is acceptable.
In the console type:
ext isxeq2
Did it crash?
If yes - It's an issue with ISXEQ2. Try reinstalling ISXEQ2. http://updates.isxgames.com/isxeq2/ISXEQ2.exe
If that resolved your issue, then best guess is your isxeq2.dll got corrupt.
If that did not fix your issue, at this stage, you can make a posting on these forums with as much information as possible. Include every step (in your own words, don't copy/paste this) with what you did. More than likely it is an issue specific to you. While ISXEQ2 may be crashing, it is still probably something directly related to your computer.

If isxeq2 didn't crash you, and you are an Ogre user, now load isxogre by typing this into the console:
ext isxogre
Did it crash?
If yes - It's an issue with ISXOgre. Try reinstalling ISXOgre. http://eq2.ogregaming.com/wiki/index.php?title=NewUserWalkthrough:Page1
If that resolved your issue, then best guess is your isxogre.dll got corrupt.
If that did not fix your issue, at this stage, you can make a posting on these forums with as much information as possible. Include every step (in your own words, don't copy/paste this) with what you did. More than likely it is an issue specific to you. While ISXOgre may be crashing, it is still probably something directly related to your computer.

--------
Link for how to make a profile with no auto-loads. Admittly, I'm pretty lazy about taking pictures of screen shots. Here are the steps:
Follow: http://www.isxgames.com/isxeq2/Setup_Step1b.html
On page 2 of the walk through ( http://www.isxgames.com/isxeq2/Setup_Step2.html ) skip the part that starts with "From here, click on the button marked "Startup", which will bring up a new window. Then, click on the button marked "Insert". Once you've done that, you should see a box that looks like this:" - Since this WILL create the autoload.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom