Discussion in 'Scripts (.NET)' started by spudman, Jul 25, 2007.

1. spudman

spudman Active Member

Trying to see what exactly I can and can't do in VB with the wrapper and finally got a basica skeleton working based on Ama's C# sample in the script repository.

This very basic stub works it seems...
    Code (Text):
    Imports Vanguard.ISXVG
    Imports LavishVMAPI
    Imports InnerSpaceAPI

Module Module1
        Sub Main()
            LavishVMAPI.Frame.Lock()

Dim Ext As New Extension
            Dim MyNameIs As String = "My Name is " + Ext.Me.FName + " " + Ext.Me.LName
            InnerSpace.Echo(MyNameIs)

LavishVMAPI.Frame.Unlock()

End Sub
    End Module
    I spent a bunch of time reading at IS's site about .net and as much as I could here as well and I was wondering is this tutorial...

http://www.lavishsoft.com/wiki/index.php/NET:Tutorials:HelloWorld

out of date? in other words, I didn't sign the assembly or have to register with the GAC or anything. I just basically started a console app, referenced the isxvg wrapper and lavish dlls. and compiled and just ran it using 'dotnet isxvbtest' and it worked.

Is that all I should have to do? Just making sure.
  2. Stardog

Stardog Active Member

I suggest if yo uare going to learn a lang, learn C#
    as visual basic SUCKS
    heheh

just kidding. use what you want . I will be releasing my lame Vanguard library as soon as i feel inspired to do anything vanguard releated.
  3. spudman

spudman Active Member

i already do stuff in vb, i was moreso asking specifics about IS and the VG wrapper.

I've done vb and vba for so long I inherently know a lot of the built in functions and when I do stuff in the C's I end up spending a ton of time looking up how to do simple little things. I'm sure if I stuck with it, it would get easier, but vb is just what I'm familiar with.
  4. Cr4zyb4rd

Cr4zyb4rd Active Member

Yes, that HelloWorld is out of date insofar as assemblies needing to be signed or registered. (This was implied somewhere in Lax's rather sparse patch notes, but I don't think I'd have been able to ferret it out without several years experience in reading Lax-speak)

I'm not going to pan VB, as I know it's come a long way in the past few years, but don't dodge C# just because you've had some bad experiences with C. The resemblance between the two languages is really only superficial, as C# isn't built on the back of C like C++ was. C# was built to allow rapid prototyping/deployment and has a lot in common with Python, Delphi, and those types of "rapid development" languages once you get under the hood a bit.

Microsoft has an excellent series of tutorial videos at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/beginner/. They start with extreme basics of programing but go all the way through building a full-blown XML reader, and I suspect with your scripting knowledge as an entering wedge you could easily hit the ground running with C# and those tutorials.
  5. Amadeus

Amadeus The Maestro Staff Member

I ignore any posting that contains VB. It was, and is, an abomination. Even before C#, there was borland builder and before that I would have still rather spent the 20% more time to do something with C++ than using VB. In my opinion, there was never a single reason for using it.
  6. spudman

spudman Active Member

Thx for the info Cr4zy, i'll check it out. I guess I'll look at C# or stand to be ridiculed for anything I make in VB. heh

Ama, I sent you a pm re: the 'script repository' samples currently not working. Is that correct? I'll spend some time today trying to fix it, perhaps that will be my first experiment w/C#.

and btw you didn't ignore this thread. heh
  7. Stardog

Stardog Active Member

Borland builder... I have that.. 4.0 i think is where i stopped using it. when i stopped programing .. then when i started back up again. i switched to visual studio. and picked up C#. WHich i loved C++ over all but I seem to be able to do better with C# with my lack of L33t Memory managment skills :) Anyhow to the poster, i have many working examples of What you can do with ISXVG in C#. One day i actualy plan to release all my source code. even though it sucks... (got me to 50 multiple times).
    If i get some time on lunch today i will Put up an example fully documented for people that wanna dive into the C# side of vanguard Scripting.
  8. Amadeus

Amadeus The Maestro Staff Member

If someone could fix the .NET samples in the svn, that would be great. I've fixed them a couple times and have no idea why they continue to break ..lol. But, I don't have time right now to mess with them.
  9. spudman

spudman Active Member

Thanks Stardog, that would be greatly appreciated!
  10. Stardog

Stardog Active Member

Ama, i will fix them.. I will get it tonight at some point.
    I will also give a good HOW too as well. as something usefull,.

Star digga D dog